San Diego CA US
Leidos is seeking a Senior Satellite Systems Engineer (SATCOM) to our Satellite Communication Security initiatives organization in San Diego, CA.
Leidos ranks as a top industry leader for its high performance and high reliability ensuring priority of our nation’s safety. Our team is chartered with providing the skills, innovative technologies to develop, design, produce and sustain optimized product lines across the sector while providing a decisive advantage to the warfighter. We welcome all those who have big ideas, crave innovation and have the passion to bring the warfighter home safe. With a 9/80 schedule, and every other Friday off, our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life.
This is your chance to join a dynamic team working across multiple disciplines with opportunities to further expand your knowledge and grow your career.
The selected candidate will provide senior engineering expertise to understand, document and design satellite communication security patterns and capabilities. These satellite network systems have exacting interface, performance and security requirements that must be analyzed and decomposed. This position will require someone who is meticulous and creative in problem solving. More specifically in designing security focused solutions that address potential system vulnerabilities and associated mitigations.
You will participate in the definition of system security requirements for a wide range of satellite architectures including but not limited to low-earth orbit (LEO) constellations that integrate small /cube/nano spacecraft. This requires an understanding of the unique constraints and interfaces to satellite spacecraft, approaches to integrating payload protection techniques, and approaches to protecting Telemetry, Tracking and Control (TT&C) using cryptography and key management solutions. Lead or participate in the secure design of new products and features, vulnerability analysis of applications and devices, work with developers to communicate cryptographic security architectures In addition, this role will focus on high impact, creative solutions to complex technical problems, and work as part of a large team. This position will allow the successful candidate to develop and execute a set of integrated plans and technical artifacts that will enable the program to meet technical performance parameters and achieve mission success.
He/she will become part of a team of Security Engineers working on solving challenging issues on a nationally significant defense program. The selected individual will collaborate with other engineers and technical experts in providing improvements to our operational, test, integration, and development systems.
- Lead system engineering, hardware, and software analysis to support the Navy’s Key Management project portfolio, including satellite communication security.
- Define and apply systems engineering processes to develop systems and solutions that meet customer requirements.
- Manage requirements, including decomposition, allocation, verification, and validation for subsequent use by the development and test teams.
- Define and develop System Architecture, CONOPS, and use cases using systems engineering methodologies.
- Participate and lead discussions at customer meetings, working groups, and technical interchange meetings associated with the work performed in this project.
- Research, design, write, and review a wide range of technical documentation that will include but not be limited to: technical manuals, design specification documents, interface requirements specification, system user guides, reference manuals, installation guides, and data sheets that may be required to assist with the design, integration, testing, and fielding of the system; will provide project briefing materials upon request.
- Relocation assistance available to move to San Diego, CA
- Position requires US citizenship and an active Secret DoD security clearance.
- Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field and 9+ years of experience or Masters with 7+ years of prior relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience in requirements decomposition.
- Experience that demonstrates ability to analyze risks and uncertainties and ability to navigate projects through established processes.
- Understanding complex system development methods.
- Knowledge working with software development methodologies such as TDD, Peer programming, debugging
- Knowledge of software design patterns.
- Knowledge of Agile Development methodologies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Working knowledge and experience with computing and related technologies preferred including:
- Scripting support such as Python, bourne/c shell/k shell/ bash
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Collaboration tools like MatterMost, Teams
- AI related frameworks such as pytorch, tensor flow
- Database design, configuration, replication, backup, archive, and restore
- Continuous integration environments (e.g., Jenkins, GitLab-CI).
- Familiar with software languages such as C/C++, C#, Java
- Understanding of Cryptographic Key Management based on EKMS and KMI.
- COMSEC Operations and Accountability
- Transfer, receipt, accounting, inventory, reconciliation, and reporting
- Warehouse operations, receiving, distribution, reporting, and automation
- Familiarity with Agile processes including
- Agile / Scrum
- Tools and environment such as jira, VersionOne
- Agile use, automation, configuration, tracking, and optimization
- Detailed knowledge of Networking and Interface technologies including
- Web services including RESTful and SOAP
- Documentation with IETF/RFCs
- OpenAPI standards
- ASN.1 constructs, usage, compilers, and implementations
- Understanding of Security requirements and implementation including
- Authentication, integrity, and confidentiality services and implementation
- Public Key Infrastructure with trust chains, certificates, revocation checking, cert validation
- Cryptographic mechanisms such as SHA, HMAC, Elliptic Curve, and quantum resistance approaches
- Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)
- Security monitoring including gathering, reporting, and response using SIEM
- Security frameworks adhering to STIGs, RMF
DoD 8570 approved security certification (i.e., Security +) (Will be required 90 days after hire).
Pay Range – –
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
JBLDJ // Equal Opportunity Employer // R-00086098