|Cloud Engineer, Principal Technologist
Raytheon Missiles & Defense Digital Technology (RMD DT)
Digital Business Infrastructure, Cloud & Devops Solutions
Program Cloud Solutions Team
Raytheon Missiles & Defense (RMD) offers an innovative and inclusive culture; welcoming diversity and collaboration and providing numerous opportunities for career growth.
Our Digital Technology (DT, Formerly Information Technology/IT) organization is global in every sense of the word. Across the world, DT allows Raytheon employees to communicate, collaborate and innovate for customer success. And we never stand still, either. We’re continuously pushing the envelope to create leading-edge technical processing solutions for complex systems and program challenges.
If you’re a team player who is passionate about innovation and constantly seeking ways to improve how business is done, take a look at this Cloud Engineer opportunity!
As a Cloud Engineer (Principal Information Systems Technologist) on our Program Cloud Solutions team you’ll use your experience to research, design and implement cutting edge DT solutions, particularly focused on cloud migrations, infrastructure delivery, and the latest available vendor services. You’ll be challenged with helping solve unique problems faced by the developers on Raytheon’s key programs, and assist them in improving their work.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Identifying new opportunities for using cloud services and infrastructure to improve DT to reduce program cost or schedule
- Hands-on design and implementation of cloud solutions in programs and shared environments while developing the knowledge of junior cloud technologists and program technologists who will manage the solution long-term.
- Develop key reference architectures and designs for Cloud implementations which will be re-used by Program Cloud Solutions team
- Research new Cloud technology trends, assessing their utility and developing concept of operations for deployment within RMD, including the latest IaaS and PaaS trends.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring for junior members of the team
- Working closely with embedded program Systems Administrators to understand existing server infrastructures and practices and developing cloud-based replacements
- Developing business case justifications for Cloud services, and presenting this information to program management, along with bid metrics for customer proposals.
- Joining with the rest of the Cloud Solutions team to collaborate on best practices for cloud-enabled environments, developer workflows and DevOps pipelines.
This position will need a U.S. Dept of Defense (DOD) Secret Security Clearance within 1 year of start date, except in rare cases, only US Citizens are eligible for Security Clearances.
- 8+ years’ experience in systems engineering, IT infrastructure, or IT systems administration
- Deep understanding of cloud computing based architectures, including IaaS, Paas and SaaS models.
- Experience with both Windows and Linux server administration
- Knowledge of networking concepts, especially WAN and VPN technologies
- Experience with infrastructure automation, e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation, Chef, Ansible
- Experience creating technical documentation, such as writing technical implementation guides
- Security+ certification or willingness to obtain one within 6 months of employment
- Experience deploying modern technology in customized IT environments without expected centralized infrastructure.
- Proven experience with public Cloud implementations, e.g. AWS, Azure
- Experience scripting in languages such as Perl, Ruby, Powershell, BASH or Python
- Experience with build tools, CI/CD pipelines and DevOps
- Hands on experience with infrastructure as code tools such as Chef, Ansible or Puppet
- Experience with infrastructure deployment tools such as Packer and Terraform
- Understanding of Git, Jira and other Atlassian tools
- Familiarity with Docker, Docker Compose, Kubernetes and various container technologies
- Familiarity with high performance computing technologies
- Familiarity with DoD security configuration requirements, hardening procedures and settings
- Amazon, Cisco, Microsoft or other IT infrastructure-related certification
- Scrum/Agile DevOps Methodologies
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Science, Mathematics or a Technical Discipline. The hiring manager will consider applicants with significant professional experience in a related field in lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree.
Raytheon Missiles & Defense (RMD), offers an innovative and inclusive culture; welcoming diversity and collaboration and providing numerous opportunities for career growth.
Our IT organization (Now called Digital Technology or DT) is global in every sense of the word. Across the world, DT allows RMD employees to communicate, collaborate and innovate for customer success. And we never stand still, either. We’re continuously pushing the envelope to create leading-edge technical processing solutions for complex systems and program challenges
The RMD DT Digital Business Infrastructure (DBI) team delivers shared infrastructure solutions and services to enable the transformation of the RMD business. These capabilities include Enterprise Common Classified networks, as well as on premise, hybrid, and commercial cloud & DevOps infrastructure development, deployment, and sustainment. Additionally, the DBI team enables business transformation through factory / operational technology service integration and modernization and Engineering lab standardization and cyber hardening.
Key elements of our growth include our strong commitment to the global marketplace and our superior employee benefits package, including: Medical, Dental and Vision available on Day 1, Holiday time, Paid time off (PTO), Flexible Schedules (9/80, Modified Time, 401K, Retirement Income Savings, Employee Discounts, Performance Sharing, Educational Assistance, Continuous Learning and much more.